Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury I had some mixed feelings about this book. I liked it themes, and its general message (free thought in the face of uniformity, intelectual engagement in the face of technology that makes one passive, and healing for the nations) , but I wasn't terribly engrossed by it. I wanted to like it more than I did. I was hoping I would be more engrossed than I was.

I do find it interesting how right Bradbury was in his predictions about technology though. One only need look at smart phones and computers today to see people disengaging from the very things that make us human. Obviously, there are two sides to the coin (I'm writing my critique of technology...on technology that I love), but it was good to be reminded of Granger's grandfather, and of Clarisse, who dared to live life.

Maybe the true measure of a book is not its ability to entertain the reader through plot, but its ability to stick with the reader once they've placed the book back on the shelf. I have a feeling this one will stick with me a for a while.