The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine - Michael Lewis Fantastic read. I loved Lewis's "Moneyball", but I think this one was even better. It was a bit dense in parts. There was a fair bit of jargon that took a while to catch on to and concepts that people making these trades didn't even fully understand, but Lewis does a pretty good job of (eventually) breaking stuff down into layman's terms, and went over concepts enough times that I eventually caught on to the gist of what happened.

To be honest, I went in without much of a clue of what happened in 2008. I had heard of sub-prime mortgages, but had only caught snippets of the story in the news. Needless to say, I viewed the Occupy protests of last summer as a bit of an enigma, as I didn't fully grasp the extent to which Wall Street and our government completely screwed with the public. Certainly there is blame to spread around (like the fact that nobody was forced to accept a sub-prime mortgage), but this book certainly didn't endear me at all to Wall Street firms, the rating agencies, or our government.

I wish Lewis would write (another) follow-up to the financial world, covering the aftermath and the Occupy protests.