The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two - Patrick Rothfuss I don't really know what to say about this book. One the one hand, I always enjoyed myself while reading it, but on the other I recognize that it is flawed. The main flaw, imo, isn't in Rothfuss's ideas, but in the need to spend 100 pages on any one of them. Faelurian wasn't a terrible idea, but 65 pages of Faelurian was. Tracking the bandits wasn't a bad idea, but 100 pages of slowing trudging through the woods before the climax of that story line was. The whole Adem story line wasn't bad, but again, it was too long. In short, all the stories were too long. GRRM can get away with going into excruciating detail because he has an immense world with 500 different characters, so if you ever get bogged down in a single story line, at least you'll know there are 6-10 chapters before you have to return to Davos (fml, Davos...). Rothfuss tries to go into the same amount of detail with only one character, and at the end of the day, it doesn't work out.

I wonder how on earth this story could have a satisfying ending while keeping the same pace, especially given the established 3-day retelling structure, and what we know about Kvothe and other events in the present We know that all of the bad guys are still around in the present, and we know that the world is going to shit, and we know that Kvothe is like a wounded little puppy with all his super powers locked up in the trunk at the end of his bed. Given the three day structure, this is either where we are going to leave him at the end of the story, or Rothfuss will have to break the 3-day structure and advance into the presnt.

I agree with a lot of the flaws pointed out in some of the other popular reviews, but at the end of the day, I was and am caught up in the story, and flaws aside, that is really all I can ask for from a book.