Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices

Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices - George Barna;Frank Viola While I found this book to be quite engaging and informative, I can't say that I would recommend it to everybody. As the author points out in one of the final chapters, "Herein lies the root and stem of contemporary Christian education. It is built on the Platonic idea that knowledge is the equivalent of moral character. Therein lies the great flaw." (pg 215).

And again a little earlier "The teaching of the New Testament is that God is Spirit, and as such, He is known by revelation (spiritual insight) to one's human spirit. Reason and intellect can cause us to know about God. And they help us to communicate what we know. But they fall short in giving us spiritual revelation" (pg 206).

So while this book may be encouraging to those who have already gotten or are somehow open to the "revelation" this book brings (not a big fan of that word, but the author started it!), it is no surprise to me that it has so many negative reviews. A major tenit of the author's argument is that you can't properly argue somebody into this worldview. Quite a catch 22.